Chapter 2. Cut-off Machines and Tools|
Cutting Sheet Material
A bandsaw is used to cut sheet material. It has a rotating saw blade, and
the material is pushed to the blade for cutting.
Notes for using a bandsaw|
(1) Leave a small amount of material on the waste side of the cutting line as the final cut is usually done using a milling machine.
(2) The height of the saw blade guide is adjustable and should be adjusted
so that the material will just pass under the guide. Too much gap will
allow the saw blade to bend resulting in an inaccurate cut.
(3) Even if the material becomes hot, don't use protective gloves. Since
are easily caught by the teeth of the saw blade possibly resulting in injury.
(4) Ensure that you press the material firmly in the saw table to maintain
control of the material being cut.
(5) Firm but gentle force should be used on the work piece so that the
saw blade is not distorted or even broken during the cutting process.
(6) Don't cut round or other similer shapes in a bandsaw as they such shapes
tend to be unstable resulting in danger to the operator as a result of
an uncontrolled movement of the material.
(7) Do not place a finger of hand in front of the blade when cutting as
it is possible to be injured by the blade. Also, take care when finishing
the cut as the two parts of the material will separate thus exposing the
teeth of the blade.
Procedure of the Cutting down a Plate or Sheet
Using a band saw is relatively simple. As shown in Figures 2 - 5, pushed
into the saw blade for cutting.
|The material is marked using a scribe and ruler. The scribed line needs
to be reasonable accurate and consideration needs to be give to reduce
the amount of waste.||
Fig.3, Marked Board Material
|It is recommended to cut to within 3 mm of the line on the waste side thus allowing for more accurate cutting to the line using a milling machine.|
|The middle of two marked lines is cut pressing down firmly with both hands.||
Fig.5, Cut Material
|Example of material cut using the bandsaw.|
[ Metal Working TOP ]
[ Hirata HOME ]
[ Power and Energy Engineering Division ]
[ NMRI HOME ]